Here at Northwest Security, we have many different options that are available when it comes to protecting you, your family and your agricultural assets and after a recent rise in rural crime, we feel it is necessary to bring the topic to light.
A recent NFU Mutual report found that ‘Rural crime cost UK farms more than £42 million in 2015. As well as the cost of having to replace equipment, for small farms losing pieces of kit can have serious impacts on their productivity and ultimately their bottom line.’ -(Stocks, 2017)
Cost of UK rural crime in 2016
- England £33.8m
- Northern Ireland £2.5m
- Scotland £1.6m
- Wales £1.3m
Source: NFU Mutual 2017
Featured on the BBC News and on the BBC News website (14/08/17), the report sheds light on an issue that many people outside of the industry fail to notice.
Speaking to the BBC ‘Tim Price from the insurers said: “Countryside criminals are becoming more brazen and our annual survey of attitudes indicates that many farmers now feel under siege. Across the country they’re turning their farmyards into fortresses to protect their homes, families and property.”
‘Some farmers were “turning their backs on farming altogether” due to crime, added Mr. Price.’ Below are NFU Mutual’s top 5 tips on how to protect your farm;
- ‘Tips for protecting your farm;
- Use SmartWater to identify your property
- Fit heavy-duty padlocks to outbuildings
- Make sure hinges and latches are bolted from the inside – not screwed – so they can’t be removed
- Don’t leave items on view
- Keep external gates locked
- Consider outside security lighting and CCTV
- Display signs which advertise your security measures’
The annual rural crime report was based on claims data from more than 300 NFU Mutual branches.